Bucket Brigade Academy – Leaders Wanted
How did 30 neighbors safely deploy 3,500 volunteers in response to the largest natural disaster in Santa Barbara County history?
Come and find out at The Bucket Brigade’s youth leadership training program: Bucket Brigade Academy.
Bucket Brigade Academy is a volunteer program geared towards high school student leaders interested in community resilience. It is a free 5 day introduction to — and basic certification for — volunteer leadership in response to urgent community need.
This summer, we will train two cadres of students with two one-week sessions at the end of June. Bucket Brigade Academy Training will take place at our Humanitarian Garden site at Elings Park South off of Cliff Drive.
Cadre #1: Monday-Friday June 20-24 | 9a-4p | Apply for Cadre #1 waitlist
Cadre #2: Monday-Friday June 27-July 1 | 9a-4p | Apply for Cadre #2
Each training day has 4 main parts
- Safety instruction and training. You will learn: first aid, CPR/AED and bleeding control techniques and then practice them during deployment training. We will work on one set of skills each training day. On the last day, we will practice all safety skills in a practice deployment and final skills assessment.
- Volunteer leadership skills instruction and development. “Leading spontaneous volunteers is like herding cats in an unfamiliar environment.” We will consider both strategy and tactics and then we will employ different leadership techniques in the field.
- Snacking, eating, resting and chatting. We will have two snack breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. Lunch and snacks will be provided by the Bucket Brigade.
- Practice leading volunteer deployment. There will be a 2 hour deployment each day. Students will take turns trying out different volunteer deployment roles including; team leader, logistics coordinator, project planner in order to develop familiarity with, and understanding of, the fundamentals of volunteer deployment.
What can I expect to get out of this course?
- 32.5 Hours of Community Service
- BB Team Leader Certification
- ASHI Adult CPR/AED Certification
- ASHI Basic First Aid Certification
- 16 hours of volunteer leadership training
Why the heck would I take this course?
- Because you are interested in community leadership and want to get experience working with other community leaders and future leaders
- You would like to be able to competently assist your community in a crisis
- You would like to learn how to create and lead successful, community projects in your own neighborhood
- You are interested in learning more about the world of humanitarian relief in the nonprofit sector/li>
- You are interested in a career in public safety, emergency management, disaster relief or health care and want to build skills and certifications that would be relevant in those fields
- You want to do something cooler than last summer
How to Sign Up?
Do you know any high school students interested in Bucket Brigade Academy? We can’t wait to meet them! The first step is choosing and applying for a Cadre below:
Cadre #1: Monday-Friday June 20-24 | 9a-4p| Apply for Cadre #1 waitlist
Cadre #2: Monday-Friday June 27-July 1 | 9a-4p| Apply for Cadre #2
You will be notified by June 1 if you have been accepted and will receive the Bucket Brigade Academy Orientation Packet via email.
All you need to do after that is report for BB Academy on your accepted date.
*Note that space is limited. We will be accepting 10 students per cadre. Please only sign up if you are committed to attending the full week*
If you have questions give us a call at 805-568-9700 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.